Friday, February 26, 2016

After a few years, I guess we have all come back to the same place.

Things change, people come into and leave our lives but that doesn't change who we are and the struggles that we get hit by again and again.

The last time I had a struggle was back in the university days, I remember the article that I wrote was titled "Masks" or something like that. I spoke of wearing a mask to deal with people everyday and how it was killing me from the inside.

I got over it eventually and now, a years later, I get hit by something else.
I would think that it is of the same type of struggle.

I found myself asking the question: What am I good at?
When things are going good, me being busy and all, I don't think of these things. I let it flow and try to answer every questions that life throws at me. Until one day, life stops throwing things at me and left me wondering what am I doing? or what should I be doing?

I think it's more cruel to leave me stranded like this compared to giving me difficult puzzles to solve.

A little background of what I have been doing:
I a freelance Videographer, I take videos of events or involve myself to any video production required by clients. Then on the side, I actually got sponsored to play darts by a dart company! How cool is that?

But then it hit me.

Where do I see myself in the future? Is the video business sustainable? What will darts bring for me?

I tried to find the answers that I seeked and tumbled upon a book called strengths Finder 2.0. This book helps one find their strengths and advices that one should work on what they were good at instead of working on their weaknesses.

The strenghts that I found myself having are
Adaptability
Empathy
Ideasation
Individualization
Communication

Basically, what I can see from this is that I can work in a emvironment where shit happens all the time. I know how poeple are feeling. I am excited by ideas. And I believe everyone is their own and they have their own strengths and weaknesses so I know how to give them task according to that information.
Plus I can talk to people well.

I actually have more or less known those things for a while. But I have not been able to find 'work' that taps into those strengths of mine.
Videography doesn't use any of those traits unless i'm dealing with clients. Come to think of it, initially I wanted to be the one going out to meet clients and getting the jobs for my co partner to work on them. Seems like being alone has changed that. One idea is to get more jobs and get a team to do it!

Perhaps I could go ahead with the CBD area and doing interviews! I think that might work. I need to come up with a system that allows videograpehrs to come back and easily upload their work and then work on them. Should the shooters be the editors? Or we can shift the work between the people.

Either way, this will require me to start a company witha  offfice space and also start getting employees. I guess I could work with video people and allow them to pick up their own jobs. As long as they get mine done. Being in CBD will mean that fast turn over is key. Big companies in CBD that deal with finance will be my audience. How often will they need video pumped out? I have to go and find that out.

I can provide equipment as well for my employees. Should they work under me or be a butterfly? Allowing them to work as they please will bring down my overhead cost.
Why not? Where to start? Those are the questions that I will need answers now. Because this is in line with what I am already doing and it will be easier to start.
I have to get more contacts. Relentless. No more just floating around waiting for shit to happen. I will make shit happen. It's gonna rain folks and i'm gonna drink the rain.


No comments: